On the 1/03/2018 I called the national number for SSA and verbally requested a waiver for an overpayment.Was told by rep that he had authority to waive overpayments under 999.00, which I was under that amount.

Also filled out written waiver request and was told I would hear SSA determination in about 2 weeks. Called local office on 1/26/2018 and first rep hung up on me because I said I was taping the convo. Second rep I spoke to said it takes 30 to 60 days to process waiver requests, which is direct contradiction of SSA website where it says SSA has 10 days to make a determination on a written waiver request. Was then told by rep that info on SSA website is incorrect and not to rely on that.

Was then informed that no waiver request had been submitted, even though I have a copy with the SSA field office address and number stamped on it.

Asked for a supervisor and got hung up on again.SSA reps are playing with fire; not a smart thing to do.

Review about: Social Security Administration Customer Care.

Reason of review: Order processing issue.

Comments

Always conduct business with the Social Security Administration online or via mail.

When using mail, utilize Certified Mail, return receipt requested.

That establishes a verifiable timeline.

No calls, ever.